Sunday, December 29, 2019

[I've Never Owned a Dog] a poem





I'm a dog lover,
but I've only had a cat and a squirrel;
Balthazaar, as a kitten, caught my eye;
as I approached to cherish those eight
total newly bred, seven fled, she,
just as alert, maybe even more so,
instead pounces onto my leg.
Trail Mix fell from a tree;
Mary, who no longer considers me
a friend, cornered me with stereotypes
of the minority opting cowardice rather
fatherhood,
good for a laugh,

and I would have felt such a tickle,
had I not been bombarded by
other women within ear-proximity;
I took on fatherhood, placed her
in a box, agreed to split custody,
naming her "Trail Mix," what another
woman was feeding her when we
arrived,
taking her for her first father-daughter
stroll-



Dontrell Lovet't
from, [Just a Body]

No comments:

Post a Comment